• Free to be physically intimate with your spouse without being haunted by past sexual
• Once you have a sexual relationship with another, it cannot be undone. You are
permanently changed. Oxytocin is released in the brain during intimate relations.
Oxytocin acts as “superglue,” bonding us to the person we’ve been intimate with. When
you break up and get a new partner, your ability to bond with a new partner is damaged.
It’s like leaving pieces of yourself with everyone you’ve been with.
• Avoid sexually transmitted diseases, some of which are a death sentence and others
that will be with you for a lifetime. There are 141 different Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI’s).
• Prevent the emotional pain of feeling used; discarded or rejected by
someone you have given the most intimate part of yourself.
• Avoid unintended pregnancies and the problems that they cause. If you
become pregnant, your options are to parent the child, place the child
for adoption or abort the baby. Each situation has difficult consequences.
• Time to focus on your school work, sports, talents and grow as an individual.
• No contraceptives polluting your body.
• Escape divorce—couples who have sex before marriage, especially those living
together, have a much higher rate of divorce.
• Remain true to your religious and moral beliefs. Abstaining proves a commitment to God and your future spouse.
• Know you’re giving your spouse the total gift of yourself, something never given to
another. Real love desires the best for another.
The Top 10 Reasons To Abstain From Sex Until Marriage, Human Life Alliance, www.humanlife.org.